And just like that, another year has flown by and it is time for another annual recap. The top 10 for another (mostly) great year in chronological order, rather than order of importance, are:
1. Jon and I took our first trip to Walla Walla wine country, after Jon ran his 3rd half marathon in Richland, WA. He placed 3rd in his age division and 11th overall! We had some great food, great wine, and visited the Whitman Mission National Historic Site.
2. My dear sweet bitchy kitty Martini went home to the angels after losing her battle with lymphoma on March 1. I’ll never know how old she was, but I will always remember the nine years I got to spend with her. And unless you are Oliver, to know her was to love her…
3. Jon and I took a fantastic road trip to California, down the coast through the Redwoods, the Anderson Valley wine country, San Francisco, Monterey and finally Sacramento. We saw huge trees, big elk, lighthouses, one of the world’s most awesome paintings, and we ate great food, tasted great wine, and saw great views. And I puked. Several times. Ten days and almost 2,500 miles later, we came home exhausted and thoroughly spent, but happy and with memories to last a lifetime.
4. On April 20, this sucker for a cute baby brought home sweet Coraline, a six month old kitten who was brought to my vet’s office after being dumped on a farm. She doesn’t have a mean bone in her body, but she does love her kibble.
5. I got to indulge my inner nerd in June with a trip to Antiques Roadshow in Boise! We didn’t make it on the show, but if you are interested in watching other people from the Northwest, the 3 hours are airing on January 6, January 13, and January 20 (who knows, maybe the back of my head will be on!). Although we can’t fund our retirement by selling our treasures, we had a blast, and had a great time seeing the Old Idaho Penitentiary and the World Center for Birds of Prey.
7. Jon and I enjoyed a weekend trip to Olympic National Park, where we hiked in the Hoh Rain Forest and listened to the crashing waves of Rialto Beach. Although Hurricane Ridge gave us the finger with a huge downpour, we’ll be back to see those views.
8. I had a scare with my horse Biz, who had a scary bout with colic after his most recent dental x-rays. At 26 years old, I am aware that my remaining time with him… well… you know…
9. Jon and I welcomed our newest nephew on November 13 (that makes two nieces and two nephews now!). He is sweet and perfect and cuddly. His parents love him dearly (at least until he starts talking back).
10. Jon finished his first full marathon on December 8, in Sacramento, California. I got a trip to California out of the deal (no more trips to California Jon!), where I got to visit the Sacramento National Wildlife Refuge, the Governor’s Mansion, and the John Muir National Historic Site. Posts on the trip coming soon, I swear!
This annual recap reminds me of how truly blessed we are to live the life we do. We are surrounded by awesome friends and family, loving animals, and we are lucky to have the freedom to enjoy our travels to wonderful places. Although there are always the highs and lows, I am thankful that there are many more highs… I hope you have all been blessed by 2013, and that all your dreams come true in 2014. So bye, bye 2013 – you have been good to me!