2019 is almost over, and with it we are leaving behind another decade. Like every year, it has had its ups and downs, but sadly this year they were overshadowed by losing my Dad. There were other joys and experiences, but between working through my grief and starting my new job, the happy times were just more subdued this year, and that’s okay.
- Dad died suddenly in February. It has been hard without him; never having had the opportunity to say goodbye or tell him I love him one more time. He left behind a lot of estate and probate stuff for my mom to work through, which is difficult to face when you are grieving. All the milestones are new ones in our life without him.
- I did a 15K this year in March with my friends. I didn’t train, as it was less than a month after dad died, but I finished. My time with my friends is dear to me; they are a lifeline when I need them most.
- Mom and I took a few days away in March and flew down to Tucson. It was a nice mother-daughter trip, with some laughter, and definitely some tears, with both of us grieving.
- I started a new job in March. There’s a learning curve, and there was some drama in the beginning (not my drama!), but things there are good; the people are kind and reasonable and I feel valued.
- I visited Astoria in May; I met Jeff and the kids there for a Memorial Day long weekend of fun. It was nice to check the place out and see some familiar places and some new ones. Making new memories is always good!
- I visited Westport, on the coast of Washington, in June with friends. I had never been there. The weather was cool and sort of rainy, which made for less than ideal camping weather, but we had fun checking out the lighthouse, grilling some delicious food, and walking the beach. I added a ton of sand dollars to my collection!
- In July, Jeff and the kids and I took a whirlwind trip down to Lassen Volcanic National Park in Northern California. It was so much fun camping and hiking and checking out the waterfalls! Lassen is definitely a place I want to get back to soon.
- I didn’t do much hiking this summer because I was experiencing a lot of pain in my belly, but I did go on a couple of hikes. My hike to Watson Lakes with Lelani was so much fun!
- Jeff and I met near Salem, Oregon on Labor Day weekend for a few days. We checked out the Oregon State Hospital Museum, the Salem Farmer’s Market, and enjoyed our time together. We also took a day to hike Silver Falls State Park, and saw all the beautiful waterfalls! What an amazing experience!
- In October, my girlfriends and I did a 10K in town. It was fun to support a great charity and get some exercise as well!
- On December 23, I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. I have been having pain and other troublesome symptoms for years, so it was time, but it was still scary to be wheeled into the operating room that morning! My surgeon and nursing team were awesome and everything went smoothly. My family came to the rescue, setting me up at home and taking care of me for the first several days. My uterus and its benign fibroid tumors weighed over 5 pounds (a healthy uterus should weigh about 2-4 ounces) – 5 pounds of extra stuff in my belly causing havoc! I am still healing, and moving pretty slow right now, but am already feeling relief from my symptoms and can tell I will be feeling better in no time!
2020 is a whole new decade, and one that should have some new beginnings for me. I’ll be able to spend more time with Jeff and the kids, and once I recover from my surgery, I’ll be able to get back to my active life! Here’s to a lot of good things coming soon!
May the New Year bring you all peace and joy.