Sadly, any good vacation must come to an end, and we were at the end of our California Road Trip. We loved the scenery, we loved the things we saw and experienced, and I think we managed to pack a lot into it! The summary of what we did:
- one aquarium
- one art museum
- two lighthouses
- three National Parks (and I got three new stamps for my National Parks Passport!)
- one historic mission
- one historic adobe
- three scenic drives
- one scenic walk (although there really were a lot more that I didn’t count)
- three record stores
- five wine tasting rooms (representing six different wineries)
- some fantastic meals
- and nine other historic sites – including, historic neighborhoods and squares, etc… And a gas station in a Redwood Tree!
Other notable stats include:
- seven different hotels
- 2,492 miles driven
- two times driving around the same blocks in San Francisco while trying to find the parking garage
- one fight about the San Francisco traffic
- one killer bike fell off a car in front of us on the freeway
- ten bottles of wine made it home with us (I thought that showed a lot of restraint!)
- 2,476,983 bugs lost their lives on our windshield, grille and mirrors
- Six – the number of times I vomited, in two different towns
Jon and I had a fabulous time, and we managed to make the long, boring drive home from Sacramento in one long, boring, exhausting, marathon of a day. The drive without any stops is about 11 hours – we only stopped for gas, food and bathroom breaks. We did run into heavy traffic in all the usual places – Tacoma, Seattle and Everett (a complete stop in Everett due to a car accident) – but otherwise it was smooth sailing the whole way. We made it in about 13 hours. The non-stop drive made for some sore, stiff bodies the next day, but thankfully we had a day to do some laundry and get some rest before we had to go back to work! And Oliver and Oscar were so happy to see us!
If you want to go back and read from the beginning of the trip – of course you do! I can’t wait for the next trip – for now we are saving and planning until we can make it happen!