Ugh… So far 2022 isn’t looking any better than 2021 left us.
I gotta say I have winter fatigue. After three snowstorms, a treacherous commute over black ice, multiple experiences with freezing rain, and then a big rainstorm to wash it all away, I’m really just ready for summer. The plus side was the snow kept me from having to work from the office a few days, and I just got to stay wrapped up all cozy and working from home. I managed to avoid any freezing pipes despite the frigid temperatures, so that was a positive. But my skin is suffering from the dry air…
One evening I walked downtown through the snow to get out of the house and have dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. It was pretty quiet when I got there, and I had a chance to just sit at the bar and read my book while sipping my wine. The mussels and pork belly poutine hit the spot!
My cousin was going through old photos and texted me this one. My brother, my dad and me – probably 1978. I don’t know who got cut out over on the left… I miss my dad so much still. It’s been almost three years, and it still feels like yesterday.
New Year’s was quiet, because my friend who was going to come over couldn’t. But I got treated to three days of her in the last snowstorm this week because I live within walking distance of her work, so she stayed with me to make sure she could get there. We started a new puzzle. And we walked to dinner and I got fajitas! Oh boy, how I love steak fajitas…
Now I’m just trying to get motivated to clean the house. Meh…
In other good news I have a four day work week next week and a four day holiday weekend! I live for the long weekends! I have a couple of friends coming up too, so I’m looking forward to that. Maybe the year will start to turn around!
There’s been some good news and bad news in my COVID life… So perhaps we should break this out.
The bad news:
- It’s almost winter. It feels like we really didn’t get a summer this year and now we have to jump right back into winter! Other than snowshoeing, this is not my favorite season!
- Things are locked down tight again. We aren’t supposed to gather outside of our immediate household, and aren’t supposed to travel, and can’t even go out to eat at a restaurant! So, I’ll be back to my own mediocre home cooking…
- It’s dark. It’s still pretty dark when I “arrive” at work (having had the grueling walk to the spare room commute). And it’s dark when I’m done working for the day. That’s hard on the soul.
The good news:
- The vaccine news is certainly good! In 9 months they have fast-tracked three vaccines! Hopefully they will prove to be both safe and effective; it will be interesting to see how the roll-out goes.
- The winter solstice is in less than a week, so it will start to get light again!
- I have plenty of puzzles to keep me occupied.
- Not been able to go out and be social gives me more time to do some reading!
- Maybe this will be the winter that I go for some drives to find noteworthy things to photograph. I would like to do more of that, and it seems like a perfect opportunity!
Until all this is over, I’ll be dreaming of travel and wide open spaces.
Badlands National Park
How about you? Are you finding ways to make this lockdown more tolerable?
Just like that, starting tomorrow at midnight, we are locked down again…
- Indoor gatherings
- Indoor dining
- Indoor zoos
- And… No Thanksgiving outside of your own house…
That’s all well and good if you have a family at home, but what a draconian measure for those who live alone… I know an awful lot of people who live alone, even if you don’t, everybody has COVID fatigue. Let me just say, I’m thinking there are going to be an awful lot of covert Thanksgivings this year… Happy holidays!